June 01, 2021

the interview | Ryan Alan S. Celis

Ryan Alan S. Celis is a Mechanical Engineer who earned his BS in Mechanical Engineering from the University of the Philippines in Diliman in 1987 where he also received his Certificate in Advanced Military Training in 1985. He placed 6th in the 1987 Mechanical Engineering Licensure Examinations. He also attended the Ateneo de Manila Graduate School of Business in 1992. He started his professional career in San Miguel in 1988 which saw him undertake various important positions.
After leaving San Miguel, he set-up his own food company marketing and distributing his former company’s poultry and meat products. He also set-up his own engineering and consultancy company doing project engineering and project management, consultancy and technical training, maintenance services, fabrication, construction, and installation works for the feed and food manufacturing companies. Over-all, Ryan’s experience in the feedmilling industry spans 33 years. At present, his company also operates a feedmill plant in the southern Philippines doing contract manufacturing for various major feed integrators and commercial feedmillers. He is also a regular resource speaker at the Milling School organised by Milling and Grain and Progressus Agrischools.

 


 

How long have you worked in feed milling and what made you enter this industry as a career choice?
I have worked in the feed milling and food industry for more than three decades. In 1988 and fresh out of college, I was working as a technical analyst in the Project Development Group of a lending institution when I was offered the chance to work for a prestigious highly integrated local conglomerate. I grabbed the opportunity partly because I was getting bored with the job I was doing and I was aching for action and wanted real hands-on experience in either manufacturing operations or engineering, having been trained as a mechanical engineer. I found myself working in the Feeds and Livestock Division, which was later spun-off into a 100 percent subsidiary, in the company’s major feed manufacturing facility in Manila. I was part of a select group of Cadet Engineers who were being trained to provide the needed pool of technical and managerial personnel to support the company’s expansion program.
 

What were your first jobs in milling and how did that shape your career?
After spending the first three months of intensive training in different areas of the company’s operations, I was given the chance to be part of the project management team during the construction and installation of a new feed manufacturing facility intended to serve the fast-growing shrimp feed volume requirements of the company at that time. This assignment was part of the six-month training program we had to hurdle.
It was a dream assignment for me. I finally got the hands-on exposure I have always wanted working with experienced and highly trained engineers and technicians both foreign and local. After the completion of the project several months later, I was assigned as the Manufacturing Supervisor tasked to develop and implement the Preventive Maintenance Program of the new facility. This further deepened my experience and gave me more in-depth knowledge of feedmilling from the manufacturing, engineering, and maintenance perspectives.
 

What are some of the main aspects of your job that you feel are most important?
Early in my career, I had the privilege of having good superiors and mentors whom I respected and looked up to for guidance. I was given a substantial degree of autonomy and latitude in doing the tasks assigned to me which reinforced my initiative, resourcefulness and further enhanced my confidence.
However, my superiors also made sure I received the right training. And also that I received continuous training. Because of this, I can confidently say that I have become a highly trained professional in this field. But, of course, that substantial degree of autonomy comes with the weight of responsibility which necessitates that it should be exercised with prudence.
I have never forgotten what my boss once told me – “It’s okay to make mistakes, but make sure it’s not enough to cause your head to be chopped-off.” It has served to remind me to always think about the adverse consequence of every decision or recommendation when advising somebody. And whether or not that adverse consequence, if and when it happens, is acceptable or not. Now as a consultant, an engineering contractor, and a feedmiller, I always think about what would best serve the interest of my clients by helping them avoid or alleviate the adverse consequence of the course of action they have decided to take.
 

In your view how important is the animal feed industry in your country?
I believe agriculture is an area a developing country such as The Philippines should give more focus. Food security is the natural consequence of this but more so, it is key to our sustained economic growth. Agriculture is also a way to ensure the trickling down of the benefits of economic growth to the majority of our people, and therefore, will eventually narrow the gap between the rich and the poor.
The animal feed industry is an important aspect that we should further develop and support if we are to attain the full potential of agriculture in our country. I believe we have more than enough local talent and expertise in this area that can greatly benefit the animal feed industry and the agricultural sector in general.
 

Having worked for a substantial period in the milling industry is this a career choice you would recommend to others and why?
Definitely. We need more professionals in this field to sustain the growth of the industry especially here in The Philippines where the feedmilling industry has grown by leaps and bounds for the past several years. I believe the creativity and enthusiasm of the young generation can propel the industry to the next level of development.
 

What are the challenges of the feed industry in your country and region? Can they be overcome?
Obstacles can always be overcome. One of the challenges facing the feed industry here in The Philippines is the supply and quality of corn. Being a vital raw material this is a major concern for The Philippine feed industry. The lack of post-harvest facilities for farmers and farmers’ groups such as dryers and storage including the needed technology to run these facilities is still wanting.
Small farmers and planters also lack access to capital to finance their inputs such as good quality seeds, fertilisers, herbicides and labour. They also lack the necessary equipment as a result of this. This puts them at the mercy of financiers/buyers/traders who lend them money at high interest rates and in most cases supply them with the needed inputs at a profit.
Because of the lack of good post-harvest facilities, it is sometimes hard to fetch a good price for their produce. For example, higher moisture corn will naturally be bought for a lower price versus properly dried corn. Aflatoxin levels would also be another major issue. Another challenge would be how to transition from bags to bulk handling and transport of raw materials and finished goods. And another challenge is technology. Though companies are now starting to upgrade, a significant percentage of feedmillers still need to catch up on this aspect. 




No comments:

Post a Comment




See our data and privacy policy Click here